What is Life Coaching?
Life coaching is an occupation that provides individuals with mentoring and motivational tactics to help them achieve particular goals. Life coaches are not therapists or counselors and should not be dealing with people who have severe depression or other psychological problems.
What do life coaches do?
• Help develop organizational skills
• Work on self-discipline through motivation
• Work on socialization skills
Who hires life coaches?
• Business executives
• Women in transition
• Those going through a major life change such as a move, divorce, or career change
• Those with relationship concerns
• Those who need encouragement to improve their health through lifestyle changes
Are you ready to hire a life coach?
To make the most of your relationship and sessions with a life coach you should be prepared and have the proper mindset. If you are unsure, ask yourself the following questions:
• Are you ready to work on personal development?
• Is your commitment to yourself and others out of balance?
• Are you willing to get rid of negative mind chatter and change your way of thinking?
• Are you willing to learn and accept new ideas?
What to expect:
If you sign up with a life coach make sure you know what services are included. Most companies or individuals will offer a 15 to 30-minute session for free. After that, you can expect a 60 to 90-minute session weekly either in person, through Skype or on the phone depending on your location and what technology is available. The sessions are usually backed up with email support. Rates can vary from $100 to $300 an hour.
Accreditation and programs:
Since the occupation of life coach does not deal with those needing help with mental or physical illness, governmental agencies have not felt the need to regulate the industry. There are many self–appointed accrediting agencies worldwide. Whether you are interested in securing a life coach or becoming one, these agencies are a good place to start:
• ICC- International Coaching Counsel
• ICF- International Coaching Federation
• IGC- International Guild of Coaches
• ECI- European Coaching Institute